After Arriving to the U.S.
Arrival and Reporting
After your arrival to the University of Utah, J-1 Exchange Visitors (EV) must report or “check-in” with International Student Scholars Services (ISSS) by completing the Report Your Arrival E-form using the UATLAS LOGIN portal also found at isss.utah.edu. EVs should refer to the Report Your Arrival Instructions included in your Welcome Packet mailed with your DS-2019. Timely reporting is required for SEVIS validation (activation of your record). If you have questions, please email Internationalscholars@utah.edu
You must report to the ISSS office as soon as possible upon arrival, but no later
than 30 days of the begin date listed on your DS-2019. Failure to do so could result
in an invalidation of your J-1 status. The following items are required for reporting
to the ISSS office:
- Copy of your DS-2019, with the signature from the U.S. Consulate or Embassy
- Copy of your I-94 record (Arrival/Departure document)
- Copy of the visa page from your passport that includes the “D/S J-1 stamp”
- Proof of Health Insurance Coverage - see the Health Insurance Requirements Guide for details
- Current contact information – U.S. phone number and physical residential address in the U.S.
Attendance at the scholar orientation is highly encouraged so you can best understand how to maintain your legal status and learn about the regulations of your Exchange Visitor Program.
Receive information about the services and resources provides by ISSS, learn who the J-1 scholar advisors are, and how to contact them for an appointment - the following topics will also be discussed:
- Health Insurance Requirements
- J-1 Exchange Visitor rules and regulations, including:
- International travel
- The 12 and 24-month bar
- The Two Year Home Residency Requirement 212(e)
- Restrictions on incidental employment and incidental study
- J-2 dependent employment options and application procedures
- Things to do in Salt Lake City and the state of Utah
- Public/University transportation services
- Obtaining a Utah driver’s license
- Obtaining a Social Security card
- U.S. banking information and options
- And more!
The J-1 Exchange Visitor Orientation is currently being held via Zoom. Registration, dates, times, and further details can be found under the "Events" section of your UAtlas portal. More information will also be given in the Report Your Arrival E-form.