International Student & Scholar Services
UPDATE - JULY 9, 2020: FALL 2020 SEVP GUIDANCE
As you read in the communication that was sent out from Senior Vice President Dan Reed on Tuesday, July 7, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced modifications to exemptions for non-immigrant students enrolled at higher education institutions during the COVID-19 pandemic for this Fall 2020 semester. We want to further inform you of two webpages that you can find information that International Student & Scholar Services is updating that specifically addresses Fall 2020 semester. Please review our "Frequently Asked Questions for Fall 2020 Semester Due to COVID-19” page—and also our newly created Fall 2020 SEVP Guidance page. Please note that the information on the Fall 2020 SEVP Guidance page is also included in our FAQ for Fall 2020 semester. We encourage students to continue to refer to the FAQ for Fall 2020 Semester in order to receive important immigration and returning to campus procedures.
With further information and clarification being released from SEVP we remind you that this is a dynamic and changing situation. As we learn new or updated information we will work to share that quickly with you.
We understand that this has created much additional stress as we enter the Fall semester, and we encourage you to please review our FAQ website for further guidance. In addition, please reach out and schedule an appointment with one of our international student advisors if you have further questions or concerns that you would like to discuss. Please know that we are here for you, even if virtually.
COVID-19: FAQ FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS & SCHOLARS
- Please click here for information and answers to frequently asked questions about the University of
Utah's recent response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and how these changes may affect
your status as an international student or scholar.
- This FAQ webpage is being updated regularly, and we encourage you to check it frequently for important updates. Please note that this information is constantly evolving and we do not have all the answers at this time.
NEW: ISSS HOURS & PHONE ADVISING APPOINTMENTS
- To comply with current COVID-19 social distancing recommendations, the ISSS team is
now working remotely as of March 23, 2020. Our office in the Union Building is currently closed. Staff will be available to respond to your emails Monday-Friday / 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- For general questions: Contact ISSS at email@example.com. For appointment requests, see below.
- Please note: We are currently receiving a large volume of emails, and may need some time to respond to your question. Please allow for up to 2 business days for a reply. We thank you for your patience and flexibility during this time.
- If you would like to schedule a phone appointment to speak with an ISSS advisor, please send an email to Appointment@utah.edu with the following information:
- Your full, official name
- Your uNID
- Your US phone number
- Your specific availability (date and time, between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM Mountain Time, Mon-Fri).
- A description of what you wish to discuss (the more detail you provide, the better we can assist you)
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
The International Student & Scholar Services office serves as the primary campus contact for international students, scholars, and alumni. Our office fosters and supports a global campus community as part of the University of Utah's vision of a welcoming and internationally connected campus.
Information for international students on F-1 and J-1 visas at the University of Utah.
- Visa Issues
- Family and Dependents
- Maintaining Status
- Changing Status
- General Information
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Students
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Student Interns
Scholars & Researchers
The Exchange Visitor program promotes the exchange of ideas, mutual enrichment and collaboration between researchers and institutions. It allows participation in teaching as well as research with American colleagues while actively participating in cross-cultural activities with the ultimate goal of sharing experience and knowledge between Exchange Visitors, their U.S. counterparts and the broader community.
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Office Closures Reminders
First Monday of each month, 9-10 AM: The ISSS office is closed for staff meetings.
Wednesday mornings, 8-9 AM: The ISSS office is closed for staff training each week.
You Are Welcome Here
Utah is a state of many colors from stunning red rock to towering white peaks. But our richest colors are found in the lives of our students. We invite all, no matter the color of one’s flag, to join us here at a university that encourages you to imagine anything. And then do.