Skip to content

Student Health

Health Insurance

The University requires all new, transfer or readmitted international students are fully covered by adequate health insurance while in the U.S. International students on F and J visas are automatically enrolled in the University of Utah Student Health Insurance Plan administered by United Healthcare. For more information about student insurance, including cost, please find the information on the Student Health Center website. United Healthcare is the provider and also has information.

If you have an existing insurance plan, you may be eligible to apply for a waiver of the insurance requirement. A waiver allows you to be excluded from the University’s Health Insurance policy. Travel Plans do not qualify. Your existing insurance must have coverage that is equivalent to or better than the plan offered by the University. Find information on obtaining a waiver here.

As you may know, health care in the U.S. is very expensive. Please be aware that most insurance plans purchased by students do not provide equivalent or better coverage. Before purchasing a non-university plan, review the waiver requirements and ensure the plan you purchase will meet the waiver requirements in the above link.

Click on the Patient Portal button in the top right and set up your account.  Once you log onto your account you can enter your immunization dates (Immunization tab) and upload a copy of your records or titers (Upload tab).

Immunity Requirements

All new students are required to submit proof in English of immunity for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). You will need to provide the Student Health Center with the dates of when you received (2) MMR vaccines or the dates of when you received (2) Measles, (2) Mumps and (1) Rubella Vaccine. Receive the MMR vaccination at the Student Health Service Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00pm daily. Cost: $97.00 per injection.

Tuberculosis: All international students will be screened for tuberculosis (TB) if your home country has a high rate of tuberculosis. The test is given at the Student Health Center; the cost is $10.00 (TB skin test). You will also be required to complete the TB Risk Assessment form under the “forms” tab on your Patient Portal.  You will receive a message in your Patient Portal if you are required to have a TB Skin Test.   Please note that TB testing must be done once you arrive to the University, we will not accept TB tests given outside the U.S.

For further information, check the Student Health Center, Immunization Requirement.

Routine Medical Care

Health clinics, like the Student Health Center, take care of most medical problems and injuries. You will be required to make an appointment in order to be seen by a health care provider. If you have the University student health insurance plan, the best place for you to go for your medical problems and injuries is the University of Utah Student Health Center. This clinic is in Madsen Health Center, located on campus at 555 Foothill Drive (Campus Map). See their web site for hours of operation and other important information.

Urgent Care

If the Student Health Center is closed and you need to see someone for a non-life-threatening problem or injury the best place for you to go is The Redwood Urgent Care Clinic that is open from 9:00 am to 8:30 pm Monday through Sunday. You do not need to make an appointment for urgent care, and the clinic is located at 1525 West 2100 South, Salt Lake City, UT.

Other urgent care centers can be found here: CareNow, Exodus Health, Intermountain Health Care, and Medallus

Life Threatening Medical Problems or Injuries

Emergency rooms in hospitals are only for major life-threatening medical problems or injuries, such as severe chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, dizziness, vomiting, uncontrolled bleeding, pain, or injury. If you are unsure of whether you are having a life-threatening medical emergency, go to the emergency room.

Last Updated: 4/5/23