Sponsored Student Program
The Sponsored Student Program (SSP) facilitates admission, arrival, orientation, and immigration documentation for international students at the University of Utah whose tuition, fees, and/or living expenses are funded by a financial sponsor. Such sponsors include but are not limited to:
- Foreign government scholarships
- Corporate sponsorships
- Home university scholarships
- US government agency programs
- International aid or non-profit organization programs
- University of Utah partnerships with foreign universities
The Sponsored Student Program functions as a liaison between sponsors, the University of Utah, and both prospective and current sponsored students at the U of U. The Sponsored Student Program has a designated team of staff who are committed to assisting students in achieving their academic goals while meeting the objectives of their scholarship program.
Our SSP Team offers a variety of services to support sponsored students in their academic success. In addition to one-on-one advising with students, we also coordinate with academic departments, financial offices, and many other campus administrative offices in order to assist students with a smooth transition into their studies at the U of U.
- SSP Services for Students
- SSP Services for Sponsor and Campus Partners
- International Admissions Requirements
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- One-On-One Advising Appointments: Appointment topics examples:
- Finding academic resources (tutoring centers, writing centers, etc.)
- Finding social resources (clubs/student groups, activities, life in Utah, etc.)
- Immigration questions related to F-1 and J-1 student visas
- Questions related to your scholarship program
- Health Insurance Waiver: Assistance with waiving students from the U of U student insurance plan. (Please note: Sponsor’s plan must meet minimum U of U insurance requirements)
- Tuition Bills: The SSP team works closely with the Income Accounting office to ensure tuition bills are sent directly to your sponsor
- Orientation: Students will meet with the SSP Team during the mandatory International Student Orientation the week before classes begin
E-forms for Sponsored Students
If you are a Sponsored Student, there are two electronic forms you must submit to the ISSS office through UAtlas by the first two weeks of your first semester:
Upload Scholarship Letter E-form
Use this form to upload your new or updated scholarship letter. Depending on your sponsor, your Scholarship Letter may also be called a “Financial Guarantee”, “Affidavit of Support”, “Financial Support Letter”, or “Terms of Appointment”.
PLEASE NOTE: If you receive a new or updated scholarship letter, you must submit this form again
in order to update the ISSS office about changes to your scholarship. New scholarship letters are due by the Tuition Deadline each semester. Click here for this semeseter's tuition deadline.
Transcript Release E-form
By submitting this form, you are giving permission to the University of Utah Registrar’s Office to release your transcript to the ISSS office and your sponsor (either each semester or upon your sponsor’s request).
How do I submit an E-form?
Input your university username and password
- Select an SSP E-form from the F-1 Student Services dropdown box:
a. Sponsored Student: Upload Scholarship Letter
b. Sponsored Student: Transcript Release Form
- Complete all information requested by the E-form and submit
The Sponsored Student Coordinator facilitates the following services for Sponsors and University of Utah offices and departments:
- Acting as primary point of contact for sponsors and sponsored students regarding questions prior, during, and after enrollment
- Providing information and resources about academic programs
- Supporting the admissions process and providing updates at the request of the sponsor
- Providing end of semester transcripts upon request*
- Assisting with the Third-Party Billing process, including collecting Financial Support Letters for the Income Accounting office
- Providing immigration guidance for students entering the US on an F-1 or J-1 visa
- Establishing a long-lasting, mutually beneficial program for sponsors wishing to enroll students to the University of Utah
*Please note that students will be required to sign a “FERPA Release Form” in order for ISSS to release information protected by U.S. FERPA laws directly to sponsors.
International students are considered for admissions to the University on the same basis as domestic students; that is, they must be academically qualified. For more information about International Admissions process and requirements, please review the links below:
- International Freshman Admissions: Information on applying to the University of Utah for students who have not attended another college or university.
- International Transfer Admissions: Information on applying to the University of Utah for students who have attended another college or university (either in the US or outside the US).
- International Graduate Admissions: Information about applying to graduate programs (Master’s and PhD) at the University of Utah.
- English Proficiency: Proof of English proficiency is required for admissions to the University of Utah:
Approved English Proficiency Exams:
- iBT/TOEFL: 80 or above
- IELTS: 6.5 or above
- ACT English score of 18 or higher
- SAT Reading score of 27 or higher
**Test date must be within two years of application for scores to be valid.
Click here for more information regarding approved English proficiency exams and score requirements.
Sponsors or sponsored students with general questions about applying to the University of Utah may contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific sponsor related questions. For further admissions related information, please visit the International Admissions website.
|International Fulbright students studying at the University of Utah are assisted by the Sponsored Student Program at ISSS. During the initial application process, the Sponsored Student Coordinator acts as a liaison between academic departments, the International Admissions Office, and Fulbright facilitating organizations (e.g., IIE, LASPAU, AMIDEAST). Once a student is admitted into their intended graduate program and is placed at the U of U, the SSP Team assists with housing reservations, facilitates billing obligations, and works to ensure a smooth transition to Utah by connecting students with campus resources and our local Fulbright Association chapter.|
- Are you an international student applying to study in the US through Fulbright? Contact us at email@example.com.
- Are you a domestic American student interested in studying abroad through Fulbright? Click here for more information.
If you need to speak with a sponsored student advisor, you may call our office at 801-581-8876 to schedule a phone or virtual appointment, or you can email us at Appointment@utah.edu.