You are here:


Guest Housing

University Guest House is a 180-room hotel on campus which provides guests with affordable, comfortable and convenient accommodation within walking distance of the main campus. Free shuttle service is also available.

We recommend making reservations early, rooms fill up quickly, especially during the beginning of the semester. To reserve a room, call Toll Free 1-888-416-4075 or 801-587-1000, or you can book online. Identify yourself as a University student when you reserve a room so you can receive a discount.

Guest House is open 24 hours, 7 days a week.

to page top

Temporary Housing

For temporary housing while you look for a permanent place to stay, please view local hotels and motels.

to page top

University Housing & Residential Education (HRE)

University Housing is offered through Housing & Residential Education.

Important Notice: University Housing is NOT automatically assigned to students. Students must apply directly to Housing & Residential Education, complete the online application, pay the application and deposit fees and receive confirmation of their accommodations.

Heritage Center

Housing and Residential living is located in Heritage Commons, Upper Campus and is within walking and biking distance of the main campus. Free Shuttle service to all areas of the campus is available.

More Housing Information

Things to Remember

Check the Go Global option, which is part of the Sage Point Living Learning Communities. Go Global is an Intercultural Living & Learning Floor which is a collaborative effort between Housing & Residential Education, Learning Abroad and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

When applying for University housing, please check for: Housing Options, Application Procedures, Dining Plan, Roommate selection, and Room Assignment.

Decide on the type of housing you would like and check if you are eligible. For example, Chapel Glen Residence Hall is available only to first year students.

To apply for housing, complete the housing application and pay $125 non-refundable application fee and follow the instruction.

Remember you must receive confirmation of your room or housing assignment for the transaction to be complete.

Winter Break Stay Over — The Winter break is not part of the academic year contract. Students wishing to stay over the break will need to complete a separate agreement in Housing U and make payment before the break begins. Only residents continuing for Spring Semester may sign-up for Stay Over.

Downtown Commons — Students living off campus in the 400 East residence are billed for the full months of December and January. They have full access to their apartments during the Winter Break period and do not need to sign up for Stay Over.

to page top

University Student Apartments (USA)

The University of Utah owns and operates 1094 apartment units that are primarily intended for students and their families. Utilities, expanded basic cable television, basic telephone service and high speed Internet are included.

One, two and three bedroom unfurnished apartments are located in the Medical Plaza Towers, West Village and East Village which are about ten minutes from campus. Shuttle and bus service is available.

This is a great community of people with many internationals. For information, please contact or phone: 801-581-8667 or visit

to page top

Local Housing

Check the following sources when searching for more permanent accommodations.

University's Official Off-Campus Housing Site — At the University’s off-campus housing site you may find a place to rent, lease, find a roommate, buy or sell furniture, or post a message.

Craig's List Salt Lake City — Craig’s List provides an internet based list of properties to rent, lease or buy in Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas.

Salt Lake Tribune — Check the classified section of the local newspaper under Real Estate, Rentals for apartments, houses, and condos to rent.

KSL TV and Radio Station — Check the "Homes" section for rental information

When searching for a place to rent or lease, keep in mind:

  • Most apartments are not furnished, which means you will have to purchase furniture and household items locally.
  • If you want to find a furnished apartment, be sure and include this information on the questionnaire when searching for accommodations.
  • If you do not have transportation, you may want to look for a place to rent which is close by a TRAX or bus line.

You can also check bulletin boards in your department and throughout campus. You may find information about roommates, rooms to rent, or apartments to rent.

to page top

Home Stay Program

Students have the opportunity of staying with a host family while attending The University of Utah. For further information, please contact: 1-480-633-8191 or visit and view the current list of schools. See University of Utah English Language Institute for more current information.

to page top

Last Updated: 11/29/16