International Ambassador Program
About the Program
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) International Ambassador Program matches globally-minded students, familiar with campus and Salt Lake City, to incoming international students. Ambassadors help new international students adjust to life at the U and U.S. by assisting students during their transition to the University of Utah and Salt Lake Valley.
Ambassador MissionThe Ambassador Program works to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for new international students through peer support, guidance, resources and advice during new students’ arrival and first year at the University of Utah.
Ambassadors are experienced students from a variety of backgrounds. They serve as role models to new international students by helping them transition to the University of Utah through individual interactions during the year.
ISSS INTERNATIONAL AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
- International Ambassador
- International Ambassador Team Captain
- Utah Global Ambassador
- Must be a current University of Utah student and have completed at least 2 semesters at the University of Utah
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university
- If you are an international student, you must be in good standing with immigration
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must display professionalism
- Must be committed to having a new learning experience
- Must have served as an Ambassador prior to being a Team Captain
- Lead a team of Ambassadors throughout the process of Orientation as well as during the new student event
- Assist U professional staff with communication and logistics for Ambassador events
- Lead activity planning for 1 social event each semester
- Provide guidance on processes and responsibilities to Ambassadors during International Orientation
- Meet all qualifications of the International Ambassador
- Ambassador Training and International Student Orientation participation are required.
- Maintain a positive attitude and reflect the model behavior of a campus leader
- Create an inclusive and welcoming environment to incoming international students by being caring and involved
- Actively engage with new international students and offer support during Orientation
- Serve as a point of contact for new international students throughout the academic year, and assist in planning activities and events
- Attend various trainings and throughout the academic semester.
- Represent ISSS and the University of Utah in a professional and positive manner
- Required to attend 5 days of the International Student Orientation (7:30AM-4:00PM) and perform the following tasks:
- Help set up rooms
- Provide direction and guidance to a small group of international students
- Welcome international students
- Conduct document check-in, such as scanning documents and assisting with iStart.
- Conduct a campus tour
- Assist with various social events throughtout the semester
- Attend all REQUIRED FALL 2019 ORIENTATION DATES listed below
- Attend at least two make-up orientations during the semester
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all students’ information and records in accordance with University standards
- Communicate promptly and professionally with the ISSS staff
REQUIRED FALL 2019 ORIENTATION DATES
*subject to change
|Welcome Retreat and Training||TBA|
|Fall Orientation||August 8, 9,15,16 and 17|
After completing Fall 2019 semester as an International Ambassador, you may be eligible to participate in Spring and Summer 2020 orientations as well.
Any questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
International Ambassadors who fulfill the International Ambassador Program criteria are eligible to receive a tuition scholarship.
The scholarship amounts are listed below and will be applied as a tuition waiver the semester of participation in the International Orientation Leader Program.
|Utah Global Ambassador||$450.00||$250.00||$200.00|