It offers services to international students, scholars, and University of Utah departments.
- Advising on immigration policies and maintaining student status. This includes I-20/DS-2019 extensions, visa issues, school transfers, international travel, dependents, change of visa status to F-1, medical/academic reduced course loads, and employment authorizations.
- Assistance with employment authorizations, including on-campus work, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Academic Training (AT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and STEM OPT extensions. Information on obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN) and filing taxes.
- Emergency assistance, including guidance on health, family, or other emergencies. Emergency travel and/or departure from the United States.
- Campus resource referrals, including campus activities, intercultural programs, ambassador program, campus safety, and cross-cultural adjustment.
- International student orientation, including pre-arrival communication, immigration guidance, American classroom overview, and campus resource fair
- Advising on general international student and scholar questions, including workshops on immigration topics
- Guidance on inviting J-1 scholars to the University of Utah
- Support for international student or scholar emergencies
- Assistance with second approver e-forms and internship course approvals
The ISSS office allows students to meet with advisors on an appointment basis. Appointments are for 30 minutes and are available during mornings and afternoons Monday through Friday. The front desk staff can often answer simple questions, but more complex situations will require an appointment.
To make an appointment, please contact our office at 801-581-8876 or email@example.com. You will be asked to give a brief overview of what you would like to discuss at the appointment.
Please arrive on time for your appointment. Students who arrive late (15 minutes or more) for their scheduled appointment time will be asked to reschedule.
Same-day appointments are not available, and during busy periods it may take up to a week to meet with an advisor. Please plan for your appointment in advance to avoid last-minute problems.