Arrival, Reporting, and Orientation
Arrival and Reporting
After your arrival to the University of Utah, J-1 Exchange Visitors (EV) must report or “check-in” with International Student Scholars Services (ISSS) by completing the Report Your Arrival E-form using the iStart LOGIN portal also found at https://isss.utah.edu. EVs should refer to instructions provided with your ISSS welcome packet. Timely reporting is required for SEVIS validation and to receive an invitation to the Exchange Visitor orientation. If you have questions, please email Internationalscholars@utah.edu
You must report to the ISSS office as soon as possible upon arrival, but no later
than 30 days of the begin date listed on your DS-2019. Failure to do so could result
in an invalidation of your J-1 status. The following items are required for reporting
to the ISSS office:
- Copy of your DS-2019, with the signature from the US Consulate or Embassy
- Copy of your I-94 record (Arrival/Departure document)
- Copy of the visa page from your passport that includes the “D/S J-1 stamp”
- Completed and signed Health Insurance Compliance Form
- Current contact information – US phone number and physical residential in the U.S.
Attendance at a scholar orientation is necessary to understand how to maintain your legal status and learn about the regulations of your Exchange Visitor Program.
- Information about the services and resources provides by the International Student Scholars Services office, who the J-1 scholars advisors are, and how to contact them for an appointment
- Health Insurance requirements
- J-1 Exchange Visitor rules and regulations, including:
- International travel
- The 12 and 24-month bar
- The Two Year Home Residency Requirement 212(e)
- Restrictions on incidental employment and incidental study while here as an Exchange Visitor scholar
- J-2 dependent employment options and application procedures
- Things to do in Salt Lake City and the state of Utah
- Recreational and cultural opportunities that are unique to anywhere in the world
- Public transportation
- Obtaining a Utah driver’s license
- Obtaining a Social Security card
- U.S. banking information and options
- Information on our Sprintax web page, our hub for all things taxes in the U.S.
- And more!