F-2 or J-2 Dependent Application

To bring dependents to the United States, students and scholars are required to provide adequate financial resources for the care of their dependents for the duration of their program of study. Dependents are defined as the student’s/scholar’s spouse and/or children. Bringing dependents to the US involves additional expenses such as health insurance, housing and meals, and child-care.

To apply for a dependent I-20 or DS-2019, please provide:

  • Copy of F2/J2’s biographical (picture) page from passport, or national ID card showing biographical information.
  • F1/J1’s original I-20 or DS-2019.
  • F1/J1’s financial support documents with an additional $3000 per dependent to support each dependent for one year (original bank statement or verification of deposit letter from bank).
  • Relationship to student – copy of marriage certificate and/or birth certificate.