International Ambassador Program
About the Program
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) International Ambassador Program matches globally-minded students, familiar with campus and Salt Lake City, to incoming international students. Ambassadors help new international students adjust to life at the U and U.S. by assisting students during their transition to the University of Utah and Salt Lake Valley.
The Ambassador Program works to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for new international students through peer support, guidance, resources and advice during new students’ arrival and first year at the University of Utah.
Ambassadors are experienced students from a variety of backgrounds. They serve as role models to new international students by helping them transition to the University of Utah through individual interactions during the year.
ISSS INTERNATIONAL AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
Application Deadline: March 24, 2017
International Ambassador Team Captain
- Must be a current University of Utah student and have completed at least 2 semesters at the University of Utah
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university
- If you are an international student, you must be in good standing with immigration
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must display professionalism
- Must be committed to having a new learning experience
- Must have served as an Ambassador prior to being a Team Captain
- Lead a team of Ambassadors throughout the process of Orientation as well as during the new student event
- Assist U professional staff with communication and logistics for Ambassador events
- Lead activity planning for 1 social event each semester
- Provide guidance on processes and responsibilities to Ambassadors during International Orientation
- Meet all qualifications of the International Ambassador
- Ambassador Training and International Student Orientation participation are required.
- Maintain a positive attitude and reflect the model behavior of a campus leader
- Create an inclusive and welcoming environment to incoming international students by being caring and involved
- Actively engage with new international students and offer support during Orientation
- Serve as a point of contact for new international students throughout the academic year, and assist in planning activities and events
- Attend various trainings and throughout the academic semester.
- Represent ISSS and the University of Utah in a professional and positive manner
- Required to attend 5 days of the International Student Orientation (8:00AM-5:00PM) and perform the following tasks:
- Help set up rooms
- Provide direction and guidance to a small group of international students
- Welcome international students
- Conduct document check-in, such as scanning documents and assisting with iStart.
- Conduct a short tour with new students from the Union Services to the Marriott Library
- Assist with various events such as luncheons, workshops
- Attend all REQUIRED FALL 2017 ORIENTATION DATES listed below
- Attend at least one Alternate Orientation during the regular semester
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all students’ information and records in accordance with University standards
- Communicate promptly and professionally with the ISSS staff
REQUIRED FALL 2017 ORIENTATION DATES
*subject to change
|Welcome Retreat and Training||April 21, 2017|
|Fall Training||August 9, 2017|
|Fall Orientation & Welcome BBQ||August 10-18, 2017|
|New Student Event (date TBD)||October 2017|
After completing Fall 2017 semester as an International Ambassador,
you may be eligible to participate in Spring and Summer 2018 orientations as well
Any questions should be directed to email@example.com
International Ambassadors who fulfill the International Ambassador Program criteria are eligible to apply for the International Ambassador Scholarship at the end of each semester.
The scholarship amounts are listed below and will be applied as a tuition waiver the semester after participation in the International Ambassador Program.
|International Ambassador Team Captain||$450.00||$300.00||$200.00|