What is OPT?
Optional Practical Training is designed to provide students with an opportunity to gain temporary employment experience in their chosen profession for one year. The employment must be directly related to the student’s field of study. Its purpose is to compliment a student’s academic work. Permission to work must be obtained from USCIS and students are allowed to work anywhere in the U.S.
What information is in the OPT Packet?
The OPT packet answers many general questions about OPT, including information about:
- Who is eligible to apply
- How to apply for OPT
- What documents will I need to send to USCIS
- Where to mail your packet
- Reminders of Regulations while on OPT
- Instructions for filling out Form I-765
- Choosing your OPT Start Date
- OPT Timeline
- Frequently Asked Questions for POST OPT