You are here:

Social Security Number (SSN)

Social Security cards are used for various identification purposes including tax identification. You must apply for a U.S. Social Security number (SSN) in order for you to start your paid position.  J Exchange Visitors qualify for an SSN if they are being paid by a US organization.

You may only apply for an SSN ten (10) business days after your arrival in the U.S. and after checking with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to confirm that you have been activated on the SEVIS system.

  • If you are employed by the university, you must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA) office in order to receive payment.
  • Wait at least 2 business days after checking in with ISSS. This time will allow for your SEVIS record to be validated. Please note that the SSA will not issue an SSN until your SEVIS record has been validated.
  • Present the following documents in person at the SSA Office:
  • The SSA office will issue a receipt for your application. This receipt can be used to receive a temporary Tax ID for completing your I-9 paperwork.  Please work with your hosting Department and University Human Resources to receive your temporary Tax ID.  
  • You should receive your new Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days.
    • Be sure to include a reliable mailing address on your SSN application.
    • Once an SSN has been issued to you, the same number will be valid indefinitely.

The Social Security Administration Office contact information:
Address: 175 East 400 South, Suite 500
Phone: 801-524-4115 or 1-800-772-1213 (toll free)

Social Security Administration Office

to page top

Last Updated: 2/28/17