J Visa and H Visa Comparison Chart

Please contact the Office of General Counsel at 801-585-7002 for information about the H-1B Visa. The Office of General Counsel processes the H-1B visa.

J Exchange Visitor Program H-1b Temporary Work Authorization
Duration: 5 years – applied according to available funding from three weeks to 5 years Duration: 6 years – may be applied for in 3 year increments
May not be tenure track May be tenure track
Need to show ties to home country No need to show ties to home country to get visa
May have a two-year home residency requirement depending on skills list and government funding No need to return to home country
May use own funding Have to be paid from a U.S. source
Need minimum funding for living expenses Need to be paid prevailing wage
May do occasional lecture or consultation outside of university Can only work for H-1 employer
Only one J-1 employer at a time May have concurrent H-1 employers
May take classes incidental to work May take classes incidental to work
J-2 dependents may apply for work permits H-4 dependents may not work
No fees required to process application Fees required to process application