J-1 Visa Categories for Students

Note: Students accepted to The University of Utah are issued the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility so they may obtain F-1 Student Visa Status. Only students who fall into one of the following categories are eligible for J-1 Exchange Visitor Status.

Category Length of Stay Special Instructions To Qualify
Official U of U
Exchange Program
Programs may run from one semester to one year Contact the Learning Abroad office for information on Exchange programs. Student must be accepted into an official U of U Exchange Program by the Study Abroad Office to be eligible for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.
U of U Sponsored Student Program
Note: Sponsored Students are limited to those students who are sponsored by their government, university, or educational agency.
Length of Program The student’s sponsor may request the J-1 Exchange Visa for their students. Student must be academically qualified; but may include English studies prior to their academic program. Application packets should be sent to the Sponsored Student Coordinator.
The student’s sponsor must contact our Sponsored Student Coordinator
Jessica Schlotfeldt
Educational Agencies with U.S. Government Funding
Examples include Fulbright or the Muskie Fellowship programs, among others.
Length of Program Students funded by educational agencies are issued the J-1 Exchange Visa by their sponsoring agency. The U of U does not issue the J-1 Visa. The Educational Agency sponsoring the student requests placement of the student at the U of U. The student must be academically qualified and meet the minimum English requirement of the U of U. Educational Agencies should contact our Sponsored Student Coordinator (e-mail) for further information.
Student funded by their home government Length of Program Students with funding from their home government may be issued the J-1 Visa upon the request of their government. Student must be academically qualified and meet the University’s minimum English requirement. In order to process your application with the International Admissions Office, please contact the Sponsored Student Coordinator.
Student Internship One Year Maximum Students who have been approved for an internship are issued the J-1 Exchange Visa. Internships must be approved by the academic department offering the internship as well as International Student and Scholar Services.